XP Security Cleaner Pro is a computer virus, which mimics a security product, then performs a fake scan of your computer, and falsely claims that a number of files on your computer are infected with malware. Should you request that it clean the reported infections, it advises you that you need to pay money to register the program in order for it to do so.
While XP Security Cleaner Pro is running it will also display a variety of fake security alerts that are designed to make you think your computer has a serious virus problem. Some of the messages you may see include:
Your system security is in danger. Privacy threats detected. Spyware, keyloggers or Trojans may be working in the background right now. Perform an in-depth scan and removal now, click here.
System security threat was detected. Viruses and/or spyware may be damaging your system now. Prevent infection and data loss or stealing by running a free security scan.
Sensitive areas of your system were found to be under attack. Spy software attack or virus infection possible. Prevent further damage or your private data will get stolen. Run an anit-spyware scan now. Click here to start.
Upon installation, XP Security Cleaner Pro prevents you from launching any application by stopping its process and displaying a message that falsely claims that the process is infected. It continues to monitor all running processes, and will stop any new process as it is launched. Upon doing so, it displays a message such as the following:
Application cannot be executed. The file GoogleUpdate.exe is infected.
Please activate your antivirus software.
This infection will also hijack your web browser so that it displays a security warning when you attempt to visit a site. The text of this warning is:
XP Security Cleaner Pro Firewall Alert
XP Security Cleaner Pro has blocked a program from accessing the internet
Internet Explorer is infected with Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger.gen
Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords.
When you see this message you can safely click on the Ignore warnings and visit that site in the current state (not recommended) link so that you can browse to the desired site.
Some examples of the interface, fake alerts, fake scanning results, and pop-ups displayed by XP Security Cleaner Pro are shown below:
XP Security Cleaner Pro Removal Instructions
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- To get your PC into Safe Mode with Networking,restart your computer and while the computer is booting press and hold the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the F8 key, tap the F8 key continuously until you get the startup menu.
- The Windows Advanced Options Menu screen will now be dispalyed,and you’ll need to use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking , and then press ENTER key.
- Log on to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights
STEP 2: Terminate XP Security Cleaner Pro malicious processes with RKill
RKILL is a program that will attempt to terminate any malicious processes associated with XP Security Cleaner Pro, so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
As RKILL will only terminate XP Security Cleaner Pro running process, and not actually remove the malicious files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as the malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
- While your computer is in Safe Mode with Networking, download RKILL from the below link.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKill renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Double-click on the iExplore to start RKILL and automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with XP Security Cleaner Pro .
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and tries to terminate them.
IF your having problems while trying to start or RKILL, you can download another renamed versions of RKill from here.
- When RKILL has completed its task, it will generate a log. Only then you can proceed with the rest of the guide.
WARNING: Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware process will start again , preventing you from properly performing the next step.
STEP 4: Remove XP Security Cleaner Pro malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
To remove the XP Security Cleaner Pro malicious files we will be using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a powerful on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process and then follow the prompts to install this product.
When the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform full scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for any possible infections.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for XP Security Cleaner Pro malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your PC.
Make sure all the infected objects are Checked(Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selected button to remove them.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start removing the malicious files.
If during the removal process Malwarebytes will display a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow this request.
You can now start your computer in normal mode as this infections should have now been removed from your computer.
STEP 4: Remove “XP Security Cleaner Pro” rooktit with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner, that uploads unknown files to the a scan sloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, G-Data, IKARUS and Dr. Web).
- While your computer is in Normal Mode, download the latest official version of HitmanPro.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
NOTE: IF you have problems starting HitmanPro,hold down the left CTRL-key while you start HitmanPro and all non-essential processes are terminated, including the malware process. (You can watch this video to see how you can start HitmanPro in ForceBreach mode : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6eRWTv2STk)
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove the malicious files.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.