If you have a PC infected with Windows Guard Tools, you’re probably reading this article so you can understand how to get rid of it.Thankfully we’ve got the instructions to help you get rid of this virus.
So what is Windows Guard Tools ?
Windows Guard Tools is a malicious software also known as scareware, which mimics a security product and after a bogus scan will report inexistent PC infections in an attempt to convince victims to buy this fake security product.
Windows Guard Tools got on your PC after you have visited an infected website that has displayed a warning which reported that your computer is infected and encouraged you to “clean” it by using this malicious software or via an infected codec file which you have installed when you were trying to watch a video online.
Once installed,Windows Guard Tools will display fake scan results and alerts,reporting that malware has been detected on your PC.However if you attempt to use the program to remove these infections, it will state that you first need to purchase it before it can do so.
If your PC is infected with Windows Guard Tools ,then you are seeing this screens:
Under no circumstance should you buy this rogue security software as this could lead to identity theft,and if you have, you should contact your credit card company and dispute the charge stating that the program is a scam and a computer virus.
Windows Guard Tools registrations keys
As an optional step,you can use one of the following license key to register Windows Guard Tools and stop the fake alerts.
Please keep in mind that entering the above registration code will NOT remove Windows Guard Tools from your computer , instead it will just stop the fake alerts so that you’ll be able to complete our removal instructions without being interrupted by this rogue security software.
Removal Instructions for Windows Guard Tools
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- To get your PC into Safe Mode with Networking,restart your computer and while the computer is booting press and hold the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the F8 key, tap the F8 key continuously until you get the startup menu.
- The Windows Advanced Options Menu screen will now be dispalyed,and you’ll need to use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking , and then press ENTER key.
- Log on to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights
STEP 2: Check for Windows Guard Tools malicious proxy server
In some cases,Windows Guard Tools may add a malicious proxy which will prevent you from accessing the internet.To check and remove any malicious proxy, follow the below steps.
- Start the Internet Explorer browser and if you are using Internet Explorer 9 ,click on the gear icon (Tools for Internet Explorer 8 users) ,then select Internet Options.
- Go to the tab Connections.At the bottom, click on LAN settings.
- Uncheck the option Use a proxy server for your LAN. This should remove the malicious proxy server and allow you to use the internet again.
If you are a Firefox users, go to Firefox(upper left corner) → Options → Advanced tab → Network → Settings → Select No Proxy
STEP 3: Stop Windows Guard Tools malicious processes with RKILL
RKILL is a program that will attempt to terminate any malicious processes associated with Windows Guard Tools ,so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
As RKILL will only terminate Windows Guard Tools running process, and not actually remove the malicious files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as the malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
- While your PC is in Safe Mode with Networking,download the latest version of RKILL.
Please note that we will need to be using a renamed version of RKILL so that Windows Guard Tools won’t block this utility from running.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKILL renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Double-click on the iExplore to start RKILL and automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Windows Guard Tools .
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and tries to terminate them.
IF your having problems while trying to start or RKILL, you can download another renamed versions of RKill from here.
- When RKILL has completed its task, it will generate a log.Only then you can proceed with the rest of the guide.
WARNING: Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware process will start again , preventing you from properly performing the next step.
STEP 4: Remove Windows Guard Tools malicious files from your PC
To remove the Windows Guard Tools malicious files we will be using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a powerful on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process and then follow the prompts to install this product.
When the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start and you’ll be prompted to start a trial period , please select ‘Decline‘ as we just want to use the on-demand scanner.
- On the Scanner tab,please select Perform full scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for any possible infections.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Windows Guard Tools malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your PC.
Make sure all the infected objects are Checked(Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selected button to remove them.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start removing the malicious files.
If during the removal process Malwarebytes will display a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow this request.
You can now start your computer in normal mode as this infections should have now been removed from your PC.
STEP 5: Double check for any left over malicious files with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner , that uploads unknown files to the a scan sloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender,Emsisoft,G-Data,IKARUS and Dr. Web).
- While in Normal Mode,download the latest official version of HitmanPro.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
NOTE: IF you have problems starting HitmanPro,hold down the left CTRL-key while you start HitmanPro and all non-essential processes are terminated, including the malware process. (You can watch this video to see how you can start HitmanPro in ForceBreach mode : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6eRWTv2STk)
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove the malicious files.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
The Windows Guard Tools rogue should be completly removed from your PC! Enjoy your malware free computer and stay safe!