Windows Efficiency Kit is a computer virus, which mimics a security product, then performs a fake scan of your computer, and falsely claims that a number of files on your computer are infected with malware. Should you request that it clean the reported infections, it advises you that you need to pay money to register Windows Efficiency Kit in order for it to do so.
Windows Efficiency Kit is promoted through Trojans that pretend to be programs necessary to view online videos. You can also become infected by this software when visiting web sites that have been hacked with exploit kits. These exploit kits attempt to take advantage of vulnerabilities found on your computer that allow the program to be installed without your permission or knowledge.
Upon installation, Windows Efficiency Kit prevents you from launching any application by stopping its process and displaying a message that falsely claims that the process is infected. It continues to monitor all running processes, and will stop any new process as it is launched. Upon doing so, it displays a message such as the following:
Firewall has blocked a program from accessing the Internet
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
is suspected to have infected your PC.
This type of virus intercepts entered data and transmits them
to a remote server.
While Windows Efficiency Kit virus is running it will also display a variety of fake security alerts that are designed to make you think your computer has a serious virus problem. Some of the messages you may see include:
Trojan activity detected. System integrity at risk.
Full system scan is highly recommended.
System data security is at risk!
To prevent potential PC errors, run a full system scan.
As you can see, this computer infection was created to trick you into thinking your computer has a security problem so that you will then purchase it. Please do not purchase this program , and if you already have, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges stating that the program is a computer infection and a scam. To remove Windows Efficiency Kit and related malware please use the guide below.
Registration Keys for Windows Efficiency Kit
As an optional step, you can use any of the following license keys to register Windows Efficiency Kit and stop the fake alerts.
Windows Efficiency Kit Registration Keys:
Please keep in mind that entering the above registration code will NOT remove Windows Efficiency Kit from your computer, instead it will just stop the fake alerts. If you have used the above activation code, then you should be able to start your computer normally, and you will need to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro to remove this infection.
How to remove Windows Efficiency Kit virus (Removal Guide)
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
- When the computer starts you will see your computer’s hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows XP, Vista or 7 Advanced Boot Options.
If you are using Windows 8, press the Windows key + C, and then click Settings. Click Power, hold down Shift on your keyboard and click Restart, then click on Troubleshoot and select Advanced options. In the Advanced Options screen, select Startup Settings, then click on Restart. Alternatively, you can read this guide to start Windows 8 in Safe Mode.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista or 7 in the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Command Prompt , and then press ENTER.
If you are using Windows 8, press 6 on your keyboard to Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Windows will start in Safe Mode with Networking.
STEP 2: Fix your Windows Registry to remove Windows Efficiency Kit
Windows Efficiency Kit has hijacked your Windows Registry to start automatically before your Windows desktop is shown, which makes your computer unusable until the infection is removed.
- While your computer is in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, the Command Prompt allows you to type commands and then press Enter on your keyboard to execute them.
In this Command Prompt window, please type explorer.exe and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- The Windows desktop will now appear. When the desktop appears you can then close the Command Prompt window by clicking on the X.
- Open Notepad, then please write down the below lines:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] “GuardSoftware” =- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] “Shell”=”explorer.exe”
- In the Save as type filed select All files, then save the file as fix.reg to your Desktop.
- Double-click on fix.reg, and then click on the Yes button at the Registry Editor prompt window. Then click OK.
- Please reboot your computer into the normal Windows mode and login as the infected user. When you are back at your normal Windows desktop please continue with the next step.
STEP 3: Remove Windows Efficiency Kit malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
To remove the Windows Efficiency Kit malicious files we will use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a powerful on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process, and then follow the prompts to install this product.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the Perform quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Windows Efficiency Kit related files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Windows Efficiency Kit malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your computer.
Make sure all the infected objects are Checked (Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selected button to remove them.
- When your computer will start in Windows regular mode, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats.
STEP 4: Remove Windows Efficiency Kit rooktit with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner, that uploads unknown files to the a scan sloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, G-Data, IKARUS and Dr. Web).
- You can download the latest official version of HitmanPro from the below link.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove the malicious files.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
Your computer should now be free of the Windows Efficiency Kit virus. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.