Remove XP Defender 2013 (Removal Guide)
If your computer is infected with XP Defender 2013 virus,then you are probably reading this article so you can understand how to get rid of it.Thankfully we’ve got the instructions to help you get rid of XP Defender 2013 and its malicious changes.
XP Defender 2013 is a malicious software also known as rogue antivirus, which mimics a security product and after a bogus scan will report inexistent PC infections in an attempt to convince victims to buy this fake security product.Some of the bogus alerts you may see include:
Beware! Spyware infection was found. Your system security is at risk. Private information may get stolen, and your PC activity may get monitored. Click for an anti-spyware scan.
XP Defender 2013 Alert
Internet Connection alert!
Suspicious network activity detected!
Malware infection is possible!
XP Defender 2013 Alert
Unknown programs is scanning your system registry right now! Identity theft detected!
XP Defender 2013 got on your PC after you have visited an infected website that has displayed a warning which reported that your computer is infected and encouraged you to “clean” it by using this malicious software or from an malicious email attachment.
Once installed,XP Defender 2013 will display fake scan results and alerts,reporting that malware has been detected on your PC.However if you attempt to use the program to remove these infections, it will state that you first need to purchase it before it can do so.
As part of its self-defense mechanism,XP Defender 2013 will also install a malicious rootkit on machine which will hijack your browser and state that the site you are visiting is infected and terminate some programs when you attempt to start them and state that they are infected.
Registration codes for XP Defender 2013
As an optional step,you can use the following license key to register XP Defender 2013 and stop the fake alerts.
XP Defender 2013 Reg Key: 3425-814615-3990
Please keep in mind that entering the above registration code will NOT remove XP Defender 2013 from your computer , instead it will just stop the fake alerts so that you’ll be able to complete our removal guide more easily.
XP Defender 2013 Removal Instructions
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- To get your PC into Safe Mode with Networking,restart your computer and while the computer is booting press and hold the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the F8 key, tap the F8 key continuously until you get the startup menu.
- The Windows Advanced Options Menu screen will now be dispalyed,and you’ll need to use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking , and then press ENTERkey.
- Log on to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights
STEP 2: Fix your Windows Registry from XP Defender 2013 malicious changes.
XP Defender 2013 has changed your Windows registry settings so that when you try to run a executable file (ending with .exe ) , it will instead launch the infection rather than the desired program.
- Download the registryfix.reg file to fix the malicious registry changes from XP Defender 2013.REGISTRYFIX.REG DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the registry fix called registryfix.reg)
- Double-click on registryfix.reg file to run it. Click “Yes” for Registry Editor prompt window,then click OK.
STEP 3: Stop XP Defender 2013 malicious processes with RKILL
RKILL is a program that will attempt to terminate any malicious processes associated with XP Defender 2013 ,so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
As RKILL will only terminate XP Defender 2013 running process, and not actually remove the malicious files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as the malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
- While your PC is in Safe Mode with Networking,download the latest version of RKILL.Please note that we will need to be using a renamed version of RKILL so that XP Defender 2013 won’t block this utility from running.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKILL renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Double-click on the iExplore to start RKILL and automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with XP Defender 2013 .
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and tries to terminate them.
IF your having problems while trying to start or RKILL, you can download another renamed versions of RKill from here.
- When RKILL has completed its task, it will generate a log.Only then you can proceed with the rest of the guide.
NOTE: Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware process will start again , preventing you from properly performing the next step.
STEP 4: Remove XP Defender 2013 malicious files from your PC
To remove the XP Defender 2013 malicious files we will be using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a powerful on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process and then follow the prompts to install this product.When the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start and you’ll be prompted to start a trial period , please select ‘Decline‘ as we just want to use the on-demand scanner.
- On the Scanner tab,please select Perform full scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for any possible infections.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for XP Defender 2013 malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your PC.Make sure all the infected objects are Checked(Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selectedbutton to remove them.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start removing the malicious files.If during the removal process Malwarebytes will display a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow this request.
You can now start your computer in normal mode as this infections should have now been removed from your PC.
STEP 5: Remove XP Defender 2013 rookit with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner , that uploads unknown files to the a scan sloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender,Emsisoft,G-Data,IKARUS and Dr. Web).We will this on-demand scanner to remove XP Defender 2013 rootkit from your machine.
- While your computer is in Normal Mode,download the latest official version of HitmanProfrom the below link.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the promptsto start a system scan with this program.
NOTE: IF you have problems starting HitmanPro,hold down the left CTRL-key while you start HitmanPro and all non-essential processes are terminated, including the malware process. (You can watch this video to see how you can start HitmanPro in ForceBreach mode : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6eRWTv2STk)
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove the malicious files.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
STEP 6: Remove XP Defender 2013 malicious registry keys and restore your machine default settings
XP Defender 2013 has changed some malicious registry keys to your Windows installation which we need to remove or fix.
- Please download the latest official version of RogueKiller.
ROGUEKILLER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RogueKiller)
- Double click on RogueKiller.exe to start this utility and then wait for the Prescan to complete.This should take only a few seconds and then you can click the Start buttonto perform a system scan.
- After the scan has completed, press the Delete buttonto remove any malicious registry keys.
- Next we will need to restore your shortcuts, so click on the ShortcutsFix button and allow the program to run.