My Start by Incredibar is a browser hijacker that is commonly bundled with a variety of free software that you can download from the Internet. Incredibar is considered a browser hijacker because it changes your web browser’s homepage and default search provider to mystart.incredibar.com without your permission.
What Is My Start by Incredibar Search/Toolbar?
The Incredibar toolbar is frequently categorized as a browser hijacker because it takes control of the Web browser and does things the user may not have specifically requested. For example, even if you set your homepage, Incredibar will display its own site (mystart.incredibar.com). Or when you try to get to Google or Bing to perform a search, the browser will redirect to My Start by Incredibar (mystart.incredibar.com). A toolbar will also appear at the top of your browser window.
Incredibar it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.
How Did I Get the My Start by Incredibar Toolbar and Search?
Perhaps you installed a free software that had bundled within their installer the My Start by Incredibar, such as Language Learning, ClickDownload, MixiDJ, DealFinder, Yontoo, FBPhotoZoom and many other programs. Any of these products can install the Incredibar Toolbar. What’s even more likely is that you installed some other application which came with the My Start by Incredibar bar and you didn’t notice when it got installed—you failed to uncheck it as an optional ride-along during the install process of something you actually wanted. Several applications distributed on CNET’s download.com have My Start by Incredibar bundled in, for example. When installed, My Start by Incredibar hooks itself into Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, making it difficult to remove.
Incredibar Toolbar and My Start by Incredibar Search – Virus Removal Guide
STEP 1: Remove Incredibar Search from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
- AdwCleaner will scan your computer for My Start by Incredibar malicious files that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge. You can download AdwCleaner from the below link:
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the AdwCleaner utility on your computer)
- When AdwCleaner has finished downloading, please double-click on the AdwCleaner.exe icon that now appears on your desktop. Once you double-click on the icon the AdwCleaner program will open and you will be presented with its start screen as shown below. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- Now click on the Search button in AdwCleaner. The program will now start to search for Incredibar Toolbar that may be installed on your computer. When it has finished it will display a notepad screen that contains a log file of all the My Start by Incredibar extensions, files, and registry keys that have been detected.
- To remove My Start by Incredibar malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Delete button on the AdwCleaner screen.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
- When your computer reboots and you are logged in, AdwCleaner will automatically open a log file that contains the files, registry keys, and programs that were removed from your computer.
STEP 2: Remove Incredibar Toolbar with Junkware Removal Tool
- Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove the Incredibar Toolbar extensions and malicious files from your computer.You can download Junkware Removal Tool from the below link.
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- When Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon that now appears on your desktop. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- The program will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to start scanning for the Incredibar hijacker.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system’s specifications.
- Once the scan will be completed, Junkware Removal Tool will display a log with the files that were removed from your computer.
STEP:3 Run a computer scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove My Start by Incredibar virus
To remove the My Start by Incredibar from Windows we will be using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a. on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process and then follow the prompts to install this product. When the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware check, then click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for any possible infections.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for My Start by Incredibar malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your computer.
Make sure all the infected objects are Checked (Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selected button to remove them.
STEP4: Double check for any other My Start by Incredibar malicious files with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner, that uploads unknown files to the a scan cloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, G-Data, IKARUS and Dr. Web).
- You can download the latest official version of HitmanPro from the below link.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove Incredibar virus.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
Your computer should now be free of the My Start by Incredibar virus. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Incredibar virus, you can use the below comment form.