If you are seeing pop-up ads from Gos.drivedo.net within Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome, then your computer is infected an adware or a potentially unwanted program.
The Gos.drivedo.net with pop-up ads are caused by an adware program that is commonly bundled with a variety of free software that you can download from the Internet. This type of software is considered an adware program because displays pop-up ads and offers related to your web browsing habits on the website that you are visiting.
What are the Gos.drivedo.net pop-up ads?
The malicious program that is responsible for the Gos.drivedo.net pop-up ads is frequently categorized as an adware program it takes control of the Web browser and does things the user may not have specifically requested. For example, it will display coupons and advertising banners on the websites that you are visiting. Furthermore, Gos.drivedo.net ads will open each time your start your web browser pop-up advertisements that appear independently outside the context of the program, website, or other source the advertisements are promoting.
The Gos.drivedo.net pop-up ads are caused by a program that is not technically a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.
How Did I Get the “Gos.drivedo.net” adware?
Perhaps you installed a free software that had bundled within their installer the adware program responsible for the Gos.drivedo.net pop-ups, such as “Language Learning”, “ClickDownload”, “Video Player HD”, “Youtube Downloder HD” or “Fast Free Converter”. Any of these products can install the Gos.drivedo.net ads.
What’s even more likely is that you installed some other application which came with the Gos.drivedo.net adware and you didn’t notice when it got installed—you failed to uncheck it as an optional ride-along during the install process of something you actually wanted. Several applications distributed on CNET’s download.com have Gos.drivedo.net adware bundled in, for example. When installed, it hooks itself into Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, making it difficult to remove.
How to remove “Gos.drivedo.net” pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide)
STEP 1: Remove Gos.drivedo.net adware from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
In this first step we will run a scan with AdwCleaner to remove Gos.drivedo.net browser extension from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
- You can download AdwCleaner from the below link:
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the AdwCleaner utility on your computer)
- When AdwCleaner has finished downloading, please double-click on the AdwCleaner.exe icon that now appears on your desktop. Once you double-click on the icon the AdwCleaner program will open and you will be presented with its start screen as shown below. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- Now click on the Scan button in AdwCleaner.
The program will now start to search for known adware programs that may be installed on your computer. When it has finished it will display all of the items it has found in Results section of the screen above. Please look through the results and try to determine if the programs that are listed contain ones that you do not want installed. If you find programs that you need to keep, then uncheck the entries associated with them.For most people, the contents of the Results section may appear confusing or as gibberish. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, please continue with the next step.
- To remove Gos.drivedo.net malicious files that were detected in the previous step, click on the Clean button.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button. AdwCleaner will now delete all detected adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the OK button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the OK button to let AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
STEP 2: Remove Gos.drivedo.net virus with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is an utility which will remove Gos.drivedo.net files, folders and registry keys from your computer.
- Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove Gos.drivedo.net extensions and malicious files from your computer.You can download Junkware Removal Tool from the below link.
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- When Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon that now appears on your desktop. If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- The program will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to start scanning for the Gos.drivedo.net virus.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system’s specifications.
- Once the scan will be completed, Junkware Removal Tool will display a log with the files that were removed from your computer.
STEP:3 Run a computer scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free to remove Gos.drivedo.net virus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.
- You can download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below link.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (A download page will open in a new window)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, double-click on mbam-setup-2.0.1.xx.xx file to start the installation process.
When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below. To perform a system scan, please click on the Scan Now button.
- If there is an update available for Malwarebytes, the program will prompt you as shown in the image below.
Please click on the Update Now button to update the programs definitions before you perform a scan. When the update has finished, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start to scan your computer.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for malware as seen below.
- When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image below.
You should now click on the Apply Actions button to remove all the listed malware. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
STEP 4: Double-check for Gos.drivedo.net pop-up ads infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).
- You can download the latest official version of HitmanPro from the below link.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (A download page will open in a new window)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for Gos.drivedo.net virus. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove Gos.drivedo.net virus.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the Gos.drivedo.net adware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
(OPTIONAL) STEP 5: Reset Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome to their default settings to remove Gos.drivedo.net pop-up virus
If you are still having issues while trying to remove Gos.drivedo.net pop-up ads from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome, we will need to reset your browser to its default settings.
Reset Internet Explorer to its default settings to remove Gos.drivedo.net pop-up virus
- Click on the Gear icon, also known as the Action or Tools menu, located in the upper right hand corner of your browser window. When the drop-down menu appears, select Internet options.
- Internet Explorer’s Internet Options dialog should now be displayed, overlaying your browser window. Click on the Advanced tab, circled in the example below.
- The Advanced Options tab should now be displayed. Towards the bottom of this tab is a section labeled Reset Internet Explorer settings. Click on the Reset button, found within this section.
- The Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog, shown in the example below, should now be displayed. Place a check mark next to the Delete personal settings option, highlighted in the example below, then click on the Reset button to initiate this process.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to its default settings to remove Gos.drivedo.net pop-up virus
- Click on the Firefox button, located in the upper left hand corner of your browser window. When the drop-down menu appears hover your mouse cursor over Help button as seen in the example below. At this point, a sub-menu should appear to the right. Next, click on the Troubleshooting Information option.
- Firefox’s Troubleshooting Information page should now be visible, displayed in a new tab or window. To reset your browser to its default state, click on the Reset Firefox button.
- A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, asking if you want to reset Firefox to its initial state. To initiate the process, click on the Reset Firefox button.
Reset Google Chrome to its default settings to remove Gos.drivedo.net pop-up virus
- Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar, located in the upper right hand corner of your browser window, then select Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom to click Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of that page and click Reset browser settings to reset Chrome to its default settings.
- A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, asking if you want to reset Chrome to its initial state. To initiate the process, click on the Reset button.
Your computer should now be free of the Gos.drivedo.nets pop-up ads. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.